Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sleep and the lack of it





At about 6 to 8 weeks, Ethan started sleeping through the night. It was very sudden and we certainly didn't do anything to cause it. Then just as quickly right before Christmas, he stopped. He started waking up and crying and was generally unable to go back to sleep unless he was in our bed. So he's been sleeping in our bed since Christmas. Around this time, his bottom teeth started to come in. Now his top teeth are coming in, and he's started to wake up screaming every night around 2 am, crying for a bottle. I have no idea what to do.

/end parental desperation

so we got two new movies from Netflix this past weekend: Knight and Day and Easy A.

First, Knight and Day.


Let me just say that I never really want to watch anything with Tom Cruise, but I always end up enjoying his movies. I don't know if it's because he has a talent for picking movies or if he's an enjoyable actor. I'm not going to think about it too much; I think TC the person is a bit creepy and I try not to think about him too much. Anyway.

Knight and Day has some funny moments but is pretty shallow as far as plot goes. It's your standard spy-gone-rogue-or-is-he? plot. There are cardboard cutout Spanish-speaking arms dealers, evil turncoat agents, and a teenage genius. Entertaining, sure. Great cinema, not quite.

But then, there was Easy A.


This movie is great. I love the actress in this; there's something about her movements and her facial expressions. I'm sure you've heard of it, but here's a short synopsis if you haven't. Olive is invisible in her high school--as a straight A student she's never been in trouble. But when a lie of desperation gets spread around the school as the truth, she decides to capitalize on the rumor to help her friend, a gay student who wants to stop getting bullied. Once Olive helps this guy, all the social outcasts in school want her help to get accepted. It's an interesting look at how sexuality functions differently for girls versus boys. For the guys that Olive helps, their social status increases, but the inverse is true for Olive. Allusions to The Scarlet Letter are a recurring theme. If you like movies about the hypocrisy of high school, especially movies like Saved!, then you'll like this one. I had some issues with the way it ended, but I don't want to over-analyze it. I'll leave that to some of my smarter friends. Watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment