Thursday, January 27, 2011

Inception


We got tired of waiting for our next Netflix movies (regrettably mailed on a Saturday, boo), so we rented out of a redbox type thing. Inception! We had to see it sometime, I guess.


The problem with gimmicky movies is that you may keep the gimmick a secret, but you can't keep the fact that it's a gimmicky movie a secret. So I went into this knowing that something was up. Which I would have known without being told after watching about 10 minutes of the movie. After all, a movie that is about messing with people's dreams and being careful not to get lost in them...there's no possible way that that could lead to a gimmick. I suspected it, because movies like that perforce MUST end in a similar way. It's a Hollywood rule, I suspect. It's like knowing that when you pick up a book of Saki's short stories, you are going to get a lot of surprise endings--and in fact, you start to anticipate them. There's no way around it. Not that I suggest picking up a book of Saki's short stories, mind you.

I can't really go into a lot of detail about the plot without giving everything away. But let's just say I thought the ending was lame, but it was the only ending that would have given this movie wings. Any other ending would have made it hopelessly vanilla.

I will say this: If I had to choose the better movie between Inception and Shutter Island, I would probably go with the latter. Better movie, better DiCaprio, more thrills and surprises, and it's available free on Netflix Instant.



2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I have Inception on bluray but haven't taken the time to watch it yet. One of those that I have to put forth effort, and I haven't been in the mood for it lately. I did like Shutter Island though, even though I was a little disturbed by the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't really expect the reveal in shutter island; the whole time I thought it was going to be something else. With inception, it's easy to get lost in the "labyrinth." watch it when you can concentrate on it a bit.

    ReplyDelete